Tuesday, February 12, 2008

working hard on the railroad

This weekend I had to work Friday and Saturday for a mock trial competition for law students. I complained about having to be up so early and working a 14-hour day on Saturday. But then I had a chance to speak to the security guard at the Court House. He told me a bit about his life. He works as a security guard on Friday from 4 pm to midnight and then on Saturday from noon to midnight. From Monday to Friday, he has a full time job in a factory from 7 am to 3 pm. Sundays are his day to spend with his kids, taking them to piano and swimming. He has a 3 year old son and a 7 year old daughter. He works these two jobs so his wife does not have to work and can stay home to take care of their kids. Daycare is to expensive for them.

Now, here is a man who is doing what he can to support his family and here I am complaining about working a 14-hour day which I only have to do once a year. I realized how selfish I am being and how at this moment, my life is pretty easy and I should stop complaining. So from now on, when I think my life is tough, I have to remember that there is someone out there that has it tougher than me or maybe even worse than me. I should be thankful for what I have instead of complaining, and maybe enjoy the fact that I have a job where most of the time, I only have to work 7 hours a day.

1 comment:

maregonz said...

Good epiphany!