Monday, July 27, 2009

book review: The Vampire Diaries

Finally - after 2 months of reading The Vampire Diaries, I finished it. I struggled with it, I wanted to give up because it wasn't interesting BUT I do like reading about vampires and I did want to read this before the CW show based on the book came out in the fall.

I have to admit that after getting into the last couple of chapters and reading the first chapter of the next book, it has caught my attention. I would pick up the next two books (the first book contains the volume 1 and 2 of the series, The Awakening and The Struggle) to find out what happens but considering it took me two months to read this book...I will pass for now. I have plenty of other books I have to read.

If I had read this book before Twilight, I probably would have enjoyed it more but throughout the whole book, I was constantly comparing it to the Twilight Saga (and Twi-hards know that nothing compares). It's the typical vampire-human love triangle and had a very, very slow start. The story only caught my attention at the very last chapter and even then, I was a bit confused.

Thanks Jenn for the recommendation of the book after I told you about the CW show. I love comparing books to TV shows/movies. If you have read the Twilight Saga, I don't suggest that you read this series, I think you will be disappointed. Keep in mind, Vampire Diaries was published in 1991 and Twilight in 2005. So if you haven't read Twilight, you could start off with this series to become familiar with vampires and then read Twilight to fall in love with the saga. Does that make sense?

[blarkness rating: 2.5 out of 5]

1 comment:

Jenn said...

I struggled with it too. I haven't finished the first book yet. LOL