Sunday, August 30, 2009

st. lawrence market - the first time

Yes, I have lived in Mississauga (Toronto) since 1987 and I have never been to St. Lawrence Market. Finally this summer, Marie said, "I'll take you, Mike and Maureen". Mike didn't end up coming, so it was a girls trip to the market. We arrived at 11:00 am and it was busy (busy because some festival was going on). First item on the agenda, to eat the famous sandwiches. Maur and I opted to share one but we all got chicken and eggplant. It was massive. Glad that we shared one but as you can see in the photo, one side is bigger than the other. My side was the ginormous one. Maur called dibs on the smaller one. After eating, I was stuffed.


Marie had to pick up some things so Maureen and I just followed her around. Our first stop was Kozlik's Canadian Mustard. We all bought the Amazing mustard flavour. There was so many options, I just went with whatever Marie suggested.


Marie picked up delicious thick bacon (I like to call it bacon steak), cream cheese, onions, peppers, mushrooms, carrots and blueberries. Going to Farmer's Market is always so colourful!


We went back to Marie's. I haven't been to her place in something like four years, so she gave me the tour of the house and pointed out all the things they have renovated. Her husband, Jason is quite the handyman. Now it was eating time. First thing to eat were Marie's chocolate Guinness cupcakes with whipped cream cheese cream icing. They were delish.


Next up was some homemade ice cream. I have heard so much about Marie's ice cream. Maur and I were treated to caramelized white chocolate ice cream and mint chocolate ice cream. I found that there were some cupcakes stashed in a container that had no icing so I thought I would make up my own concoction. This the cupcake with mint chocolate ice cream. It was so good!


The last thing we ate was the thick bacon with tomatoes and raw onion. It sounds strange but it was very tasty. The combination of salty bacon, pepper onion and sweet tomatoes just melted in your mouth.Unfortunately, we were so hungry that I forgot to take a picture of it. Marie is an awesome cook. Check out her blog: Fresh Baked

No comments: