Thursday, December 10, 2009

Birthday dinner with my parents

I know you are thinking...what's the big deal about having a birthday dinner with your parents? Well, for me it's a big deal because my parents are divorced and have been for over 17 years. Lucky for me, they are friends. They chat every so often and help each other out. Even though everything is cool between them, it's still awkward for me. Even more awkward is that my mom, dad and I are all having dinner together and the only thing missing is my brother (well, and Mike). I will admit I was nervous about this dinner but as my BFF put it, "at least it's just not going to be you and your dad".  Mike was even going to cancel his plans to come to dinner because he was nervous I was going to get all stressed out.

But...it was a nice dinner.  I really enjoyed it.  I can't even remember the last time we went to a nice restaurant (Oliver & Bonacini at Oakville Place) and ordered a bottle of wine, had appetizers, a main and dessert...and all paid for by my dad. It was even his suggestion to go to O&B.

I wish my brother was around to see this. It's not like we have never gone out for dinner all four of us (we occassionally went out as a family for previous birthdays) but this time it was different. Maybe this dinner was a sign that the three of us will be okay without Gino eventhough we miss him like crazy. Maybe it was a sign that we can still do things with each other and not be weirded out at the fact that my brother is no longer with us. Wait, did I just repeat myself? I don't know what it is but I am just glad that dinner was civil and pleasant. I don't want to make it a routine thing but I know that it can be done again.

No comments: