Sunday, May 16, 2010

A healthy kick

On May 3, I decided to get my butt in gear by going back to the gym and start a cleanse. Since I was strapped for cash, I thought I would do a detox by cutting out certain foods in my diet instead of buying the 2 week cleanse that consists of popping numerous pills every day.  I found a detox diet that was featured in InStyle. The A, B, C, D, E, and F of Nutrition by David Kirsch. This link provides a more comprehensive outline but it give you a quick breakdown, it's basically this for two weeks:

A - No alcohol, caffeine or soda
B - No breads
C - No starchy carbs
D - No dairy
E - No extra sweets
F - No fruits or fats

I know, I know...what the heck can you eat?  I did awesome the first week. I went to the grocery store and picked up what I needed to make my breakfast, lunch and dinners. I only drank water or green tea. I was doing so well.  Here are some photos of what I made:


Spinach and mushroom egg white omelette

Spicy chickpeas - recipe here

Baked Salmon with lemon, barley & vegetable mix and snow peas 
(I forgot to pull out that stringy thing)

Chicken chili - no recipe as I just threw a bunch of items in the slow cooker - ground chicken, mushrooms, a can of each: tomatoes, chick peas and black beans and some chipotle peppers.

Baked tofu - recipe here, brown rice and steamed broccoli

I was doing so well during the first week. I was going to the gym and following this detox diet. Then Mother's Day came and I pigged out. I thought I could use the excuse of "it was a cheat day", but one cheat day turns into falling off the bandwagon. It didn't help that we needed to get groceries, so I could bring my lunch to work. It was nearly impossible to find takeout that fell into the rules of the detox diet.

I decided last Tuesday that I was going to call it quits and start fresh on Monday. Looks like I will have to go out and by groceries after work. I only have 27 days until I leave for vacation. I must step it up a notch.  If you have any healthy recipes you would like to share with me, please leave a link to the recipe in a comment.

2 comments:

Steph I said...

Wow! Judging by all the delicious foods you made, it looks like you did AWESOME that week. Detoxing is never easy – it's all about planning and organizing – and I always break my cleanse because I never am able to stay away from wine for too long. Thanks for linking to my Accidental Chickpeas! I hope you enjoyed it. Something that I actually tried today is baked kale chips. So good for you, so easy to make, and so delicious:

1) Wash and dry kale. Remove tough stems and ribs.
2) Toss with olive oil and salt.
3) Bake in preheated 300° oven for 20 minutes or until crispy.

Good luck with your cleanse!

tris1978ton said...

Kudos to you for doing this! It must be pretty hard but the food looks so healthy. And surprisingly, pretty yummy too. Good luck!