Friday, July 30, 2010

bye bye mom


Although my mom is not leaving for good until Wednesday afternoon, tonight is her retirement/farewell party at a bar in Brampton. It's going to be a crazy night. There are over 175 people. Yes, my mom is that popular.

This morning I attended her work retirement ceremony where she was given a certificate and watch for her service with the government for over 28 years and vouchers with Air Canada as her goodbye gift. She got really emotional and could not give a little speech to say thank you. She's going to have an even harder time tonight giving her speech at the party.

Everyone is asking me how I feel about her moving to California. Truly, it's bittersweet. I won't be able to see her as often for our little shopping trips or for our morning matinees but at the same time, I now have a place to stay in California. My mom has done a lot for me. She raised me as a single mom through my teenage and college years. For over 10 years, it was always just me and her until I got married. She deserves to be happy, start a new life with her husband and also enjoy early retirement. Without giving away her age, she is somewhere between 55 and 60. I know that she is going to be taken care of by my stepdad. She'll be playing tennis and golf whenever she wants since she won't be working.

She may not be physically here in the same city as me but she is only a phone call or email away. She told me that if I really need her, she will hop on a plane to help me out. I am not going to be sad about her leaving because all I want for her is to be happy. She will be missed by me, my hubby, co-workers, golf, tennis and squash buddies, friends and the many people she met along the way. If you ever had the pleasure of meeting my mom, you know that she is the most outgoing, energy ball you'll ever meet. No one can keep up with her.

So, I am not going to say goodbye to her. I am going to pretend she is on an extended vacation. Tonight's party is going to be awesome. I am really looking forward to it. There will be lots of hugs but also lots of tears. This night will be one memorable send off...

2 comments:

Margarita said...

Aww, this must be so hard for you! Stay strong, she's only a plane ride away!

this is me. said...

the best thing is you can go to cali anytime and not worry about lodging! it'll be good for you to be without her (physically, that is) - the best part is that you'll see how she influences you even when she's not there. you guys will rock your "new" lives apart from each other - but you'll always be tied together.