Wednesday, July 28, 2010

My summer makeup routine

After coming back from my Samana trip with a glowing tan, I needed to change up my makeup application. I needed to get rid of the black eyeliner rimmed all around my eyes. I opted for a more bronzey look. This is what I have been using this summer...



MOISTURIZE. After I have moisturized my face with Olay Complete Ageless Skin Renewing UV Lotion, I wait a couple of minutes for it to soak in.  I also put some Vaseline on my lips.

FACE. I then add bareMinerals Warmth All-Over Face Color with an large angled brush to the apple of my cheeks, temples, hairline and jaw. Just imagine drawing the number "3" starting from temples to cheek to jaw (and then an inverted "3" on the other side). I dust a bit on my forehead and nose. Basically, I add warmth to where the sun would hit. To smooth everything out and remove any excess powder, I give a quick sweep all over my face with a large powder brush.



EYEBROWS. I am still trying to grow out my eyebrows and even though they are full and somewhat shaped, I have a bald spot on my left brow I always need to fill in. I was using this eyebrow pencil in dark brown from Daiso (a type of dollar store where mostly everything is $2.00 - it's in Vancouver) but I just used the last bit. A kind friend has offered to pick some up for me but she can't find the exact same one. Hopefully the one she gets for me will do the same job. For the time being, I am using Benefit Brow zings to fill in the sparse areas. Make sure to use an eyebrow brush or an old but clean mascara wand to brush out the brows and distribute what you just filled in.



CHEEKS. If I want a more shimmery look, I add some NARS Laguna Bronzer from the Highlighting/Bronzing Blush Duo but usually I use Stila Convertible Colour in Poppy (red) or for a more subtle look, Lillium (soft pink). I apply the color with my finger or sponge onto the apple of my cheeks. Click here to see what each shade looks like. This product is an essential to your makeup kit because you can use it for your cheeks or lips. It's so easy to apply and because it comes in a compact, you have the mirror for touch ups.



EYES.  I'm trying to cut down on the amount of makeup I put on and since I have bangs (or a fringe), I am eliminating the application of eyeshadow. I first curl my lashes with a shu uemura eyelash curler and then add some liner. I really love Stila Smudge pots. They are a waterproof gel eyeliner that has the staying power to last all day long. My preferred color for the summer is bronze. Not too heavy but dark enough to actually look like you are wearing eyeliner. I use a small angled brush to line my top lid and underneath my eye in the lower lash line. Lastly, I add two coats of mascara - Covergirl LashBlast Length of a natural look or Max Factor 2000 Calorie Extreme Waterproof Lash Plumper for a dramatic look.



LIPS. I remove some of the Vaseline from my lips, not all of it because I want to retain some moisture. I will either use Stila Convertible Color in Poppy for a bright pop of color or MAC Lipgelée (which they don't really sell anymore) in shades that are no longer available.

That's it. My summer makeup routine. It's a very fresh look that takes no effort.

What beauty products are you using this summer and are loving?

No comments: