Monday, July 12, 2010

Volunteer Work


I had a friend take a look at my resume last week. It's always good to keep it up to date even if you are not job hunting. I haven't looked at my resume in two years so I thought it would be a good idea to get a second look at it.

My friend asked me if I did any volunteer work and I told her no. She was shocked and so was I. I should volunteer my time somewhere. I have the time and it will definitely look go on my resume. I just have to get off my butt and look for a company or charity I can do some volunteer work for. Two places in mind were Bereaved Families of Ontario (Halton-Peel) and Survivor Support Program since they helped me get through a difficult time in my life.

Do you do any volunteer work and where do you do it?
Do you have any suggestions for me?

2 comments:

Angie said...

I think that's great... my sister went to bereavement group sessions when her husband passed and it really did a world of help to her, even just to know people who might completely understand where she is coming from. I think that's really really awesome.

Kathy said...

I think volunteering and giving back to the community is great. In high school, I did a little volunteering at the Unionville Senior's home; basically I read to them and talked to them... I guess they were pretty lonely. I also did a lot of work with the Toronto AIDS foundation for several years and handed out red ribbons at their events/pride day and collected donations etc.

Now, I consider my website "volunteer work" since I spend a lot of time helping other families and doing research so that I can post whatever valuable information on my site so that whoever stumbles upon my site can find the information they're looking for.

Giving back to the community certainly makes you feel really good. Let me know if you need help finding some volunteer work. Your local community center should have several postings; you can also volunteer at your local women's shelter too. I'm donating a lot of Kayla's old toys and stuff to the Yellowbrick house in Markham because I heard they need a lot of mom and baby stuff.

Good for you, Leesh!! :)