Monday, November 29, 2010

Monday Memories: not really a memory but a thought

This post is more of a thought about two things. Two things that I have been thinking about and an email that sums it all up.

Remember a few days ago, I posted that it's okay to email a random person because you have something in common? Well, I received an email today from a random stranger and yes, we have something in common.

Now on Saturday night, I was asked by an acquaintance why I blog and what I blog about. I honestly did not know how to answer so I told her, I blog about my life and I blog because I hate repeating my stories to different people.

So, after tying these two scenarios together, I now know why I blog. Blogging reaches out to many people, maybe to your next door neighbour or all the way out to someone across the world. I write about what's on my mind, whether it be about shopping, eating, my travels, my TV line and in some cases, I write about my brother. 

Most of you know by now (if you have been following my blog), my brother committed suicide two years ago and I used my blog as an outlet to vent my feelings. I was almost positive that readers would just skip over it but there were some people who took the time to read what I was going through. Well, today, I received an email from a father who lost his son the same way I lost my brother. He thanked me for sharing my story on my blog and told me that my many posts helped him and his family get through this difficult and painful time. Losing a loved one is tough but what hurts more than someone dying naturally is losing someone who chose to end their life with no explanation. Although there are many suicides that happen everyday, it's hard to find someone who you can relate to who has been through it. The email I received was very touching and I am glad that this gentlemen took the time to write this email to me. It helps me understand why I blog and that I am actually reaching out to people about my story about my brother.

To the kind gentleman who emailed me, you know who you are...thank you for your email.

12 comments:

Kasey Lynne said...

Wow.
What a powerful thought. Thank you for sharing.

I really enjoy reading your blog!!

Pinkie said...

And that has been the reason why I followed your blog. I wanted to see how you were doing and now that I am also blogging, it became my outlet for exactly the same thing. It was sometimes hard to read your posts about Gino but it helped me deal with it.

mindlessdrivl said...

Losing a loved one is very hard and I can't imagine how devastating it was for you and your family to not have a reason why Gino ended his life. HUGS

Nov 27 marked the 6th year since he passed away. I haven't written about it because it's hard for me and this way I don't have to remember that he's not with us anymore.

this is me. said...

xoxo

Luckie said...

To be able to help someone in pain while you are still grieving is a gift. I am so thankful that you are able to share your thoughts and feelings and at the same time help you deal with our loss.

lisa said...

*hugs* Blogging and grieving at the same time...it's a hard but cathartic thing to open yourself up to strangers like that, especially given what a profound loss you suffered. Kudos to you for helping others who've suffered the same, Leesh.

The Girlie Blog said...

Thank you for sharing! Again, I am very sorry about your loss. And I am glad you are venting your feelings through blogging. You probably have reached out to more people than you think.

Maureen said...

It's pretty difficult for me to read your posts about G without getting emotional. I can't imagine how you felt when writing about him. It takes a really strong person to do so. And it's great you can reach out to people through your words... I do love it when we speak of happy memories of him... I miss him...

Elisse said...

You never realize the impact of your writing until you receive kind communication from random strangers! I admire your courage and honesty to keep it real on your blog!

Kristin said...

Thank you for sharing with us.

Angie said...

Maybe I am hormonal or something, but I just read this and it made me cry... I figured your brother had passed, the circumstances unclear to me. What a beautiful gift to keep pushing through your loss & pain and to be able to share what others might just need to read when they are also at lost! Beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Oh ...i almost cried.I feel soo sorry for you .
-Kathi-