I don't like to talk about work and I am sure most people who read my blog, don't want to read about what I do. But after having a crappy week at work and hearing of my friends also having a hell week, I decided I would write a post about what fun things I would do for my employees if I owned a small company. I believe that small perks and appreciation are the key to a well-run company. These perks are encouragement for employees to work hard and then play hard. Tokens of appreciation creates a fun environment. Happy employees = a successful, productive company.
Here is my list of what I would do for my employees, if I had a company with about 10 employees (some are probably very fun, far-fetch ideas):
- Summer hours - whether it be to work an hour more each day so it would be half day Fridays or a full Friday off every other Friday and definitely every Friday before long weekend, the office would shut down at noon.
- Thristy Thursday (or Friday) once a month - beer, wine and cooler would be served.
- Birthdays - a birthday cake, card and a $100 gift card of their choice.
- Staff Breakfasts - everyone is more happy when they've had a good breakfast so why not start the first day of every month with a buffet breakfast?
- Starbucks card - every employee would get a $25 gift card and it would be reloaded automatically every month.
- Employee fun day - every couple of months, let's say on a Wednesday, the office would organize a fun afternoon outside of the office. Golf, amusement, water park, a Jays game, roller skating, spa, Broadway show, you get the picture...
- Flex hours - you get to choose, 8-4, 9-5, 7-3 and if you want to work longer hours one day, you will have a shorter day the next.
- Team building - this is important. I would bring in some fun team building exercises, like a scavenger hunt or a mock up of Survivor.
- Volunteer Day - it's always good to volunteer at some charity, maybe have the employees pick a charity that means something to them.
- Cool office furniture - in white and turquoise and purple, let's make a fun, working environment with functioning cubicle furniture. I would have cork boards and chalk boards everywhere and lots of cool pens and stationery.
- A trip to Las Vegas - on a really good year when budget has been record numbers, wouldn't a trip to Vegas, all expenses paid be awesome!!?!
What perks would you give your employees?