Tuesday, July 19, 2011

my tattoos

I have seen many tattoo posts on the blogs lately and I wanted to share mine with you. Never in a millions years did I think I would get a tattoo. On my 30th birthday, I had serious thoughts about getting one secretly, like not telling anyone and just doing it. Well, I chickened out and then years went by. In July 2007, Mike and I were walking around downtown and passed by a tattoo studio, Blackline Studio Tattoo. We went in to check it out and then I sat outside debating about it. One of the girls came out and showed me what I could do with the tattoo I wanted and asked me to come back in. I felt like I should just take the plunge and do it. So I did and out I came with two little stars on my left wrist. Mike was proud of me that I actually did it and was kind of jealous that he didn't end up getting one.

Later we found out that my old high school friend's younger brother is a tattoo artist and he comes to your home to do it. Mike scheduled a session in August 2007 and since I get home before Mike, I got a dragonfly on my right ankle. Can you believe I didn't feel anything at all and actually fell asleep while he was inking me? I love this tattoo and I really like the placement more so.

Now after my brother passed away in in June 2008, I went and got the letter "G" tattooed on my right wrist a few months later. I had a dream about my brother visiting me (as a ghost) and he had a "G" tattooed on his neck. As soon as I woke up, I attempted to do a quick drawing of it so that I could eventually get it somewhere on my body. I thought that putting it on the side of my wrist was a place where no one would see it but I was wrong. When I am sitting at a table, with my elbows propped on the table (yes, I know, bad manners), I always get asked what "G" stands for. At first it was hard to tell people it's in remembrance of my brother who passed away but now I am use to it.

I definitely want another tattoo, not sure of what but I have something in mind. Actually I have two more in mind. I just have to find the time (and money) to do it.


Do you have any tattoos?

10 comments:

Belly B said...

I love your tattoos! My favourite's the simple star designs :)
I don't have any tattoos but I imagine if I do, it would be like the stars.

<3 Belly B

Lin said...

I love your dragonfly, it's so dainty, and the "G" gell that's just special :)

I have one on the back of my neck, it's triqueta about 1 1/2 inches big. There's really not meaning behind it, I just wanted a tattoo & liked the symbol, ha-ha. I too have the itch going on though. I've been thinking about it for months now & I'm either going to end up getting the hubs name in Theban writing down my spine (ouch!) or a peacock...somewhere.

Yeah, I'd say I need to give this some more thought.

cranberryportage said...

You know how I feel about Tattoos, but if you are thinking of another one, you should really do your name in Inuit writing, because it will always remind you where you were born. Sometimes I wonder if Gino is still with us, would he have one also? I know that he was so respectful that he did not get an earring nor a tattoo.

keltie said...

I love the stories behind your tattoos. I have two. First one I got when I was 22, a Celtic knot on the small of my back for my Irish heritage. On my 3rd wedding anniversary, 6 months after my now ex-husband and I separated, I had the Chinese symbols for strength and resilience put on my hip. My ex is half Chinese and the split was acrimonious so I wanted a reminder of how strong I was and that there isn't anything I couldn't get past.

I always think about getting another...

Joanne | Life's Fascinations said...

Your tattoos are sexy! Love the simplicity of it.
I'm a big chicken to get a tattoo plus I don't think I really want one anyway. Hubby has one big one and a leg one. He wants another. Lots of ppl have said that it can get pretty addicting.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Those are cute! I've always wanted to get song lyrics - for over 10 years now. I'm just paranoid that the letters won't look perfect and I'll be stuck with it. I am a perfectionist in some ways lol.

Kathy said...

i didn't see the dragonfly one in vegas and i love the g one - so delicate.

i have 4 and each subsequent tat seems to get bigger. i want to add to the one on my back but i haven't decided if i want a phoenix or coy. my process to get a tat usually takes years (it took me 3 years to get the bird/cherry tree one because i was researching designs etc) so maybe by next year, i'll narrow down my decision.

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

I have 3 - a butterfly surrounded by a vine that makes a heart on the small of my back, the words "be who you are" on the front of my right ankle and my wedding date on my left wrist.

And I TOTALLY want more! The next one I'm getting is Hedwig from Harry Potter. I also want a stack of books, my dog's paw print and it just goes on from there. I love tats, hehe.

Meghan said...

I don't have any tattoos, but I do love yours. I think they are really beautiful!

Maeve Rachel said...

Love your tatoos! And I love ones that have stories behind them =)