Monday, July 4, 2011

rainbow cupcakes = FAIL

For my niece's graduation, I wanted to make her some cupcakes. She loves cupcakes so when I saw a DIY post for rainbow cupcakes on Life in Technicolor, I put myself up to the challenge. And boy was it ever a huge fail (well in my eyes). Please check out Becca's post to see what they really should look like.

Apparently, my niece loved them. The reason I think I wasn't successful was that I decided to be different and use an Angel Food mix. This was a huge mistake and my photos will prove it. I was so disappointed with the outcome that I decided that I didn't even want to put any icing on. I will try again to make these, probably with Belle (she is so amazed at the layers of colours) but with regular cake mix.

I found Disney Princess baking cups.

Light & fluffy angel food cake.

Creating the colours with food colouring was the best part.

Cupcakes on steroids.

Really, they look like Gay Pride cupcakes.

Second batch - I didn't add so much of the angel food mix.

Normal-sized cupcakes.

All for Belle. I am seriously surprised Belle liked them and actually ate more than one.

As Aaliyah would say, "if at first you don't succeed, dust yourself off and try again". Since they took forever to make, this will be a good thing for Belle and I to do if she ever sleeps over.

9 comments:

becca. said...

Okay, first time I made them they were HUGE too! Hahaha. :)

Joanne Bee said...

I think they look great. Good job! Now I'm craving for some cupcakes. :)

Steph S C-O said...

We liked them!!!! :)

Kathy said...

it's not a fail if people ate and liked them. they look yummy! great job :)

Micaela said...

don't you hate when you spend the time/money on a recipe and they are a fail? but at least for you these were only a fail in your eyes ;) i'm glad your niece still liked them and truly they didn't need icing, they were pretty the way they were :) i love that you put them in a jar.

deesolsarmi said...

these were not only great and cute looking but tasty! I liked the sponginess!! THANKS again tita leesh!

lisa said...

Oh well, at least you tried and Belle seemed to like them!

inHERshoes said...

ROTFL on the gay pride cupcakes! but cupcakes, gay pride or not, must be eaten! yum!

Lin said...

You're hilarous..."gay pride"! I gotta admit, I could totally see them at a parade but you didnt do all that bad. I mean, I'd still eat them!

I'm sure you'll do better when you use regular cake mix :)