Thursday, August 18, 2011

top 3 underrated tv shows

Sometimes you get so involved with a show and wonder if there are other people out there who watch the same show because it doesn't seem as popular with the lack of advertising. Here are three shows that I think are or were underrated:

Sons of Anarchy.

I first heard about Sons of Anarchy through Joel Madden's twitter. He raved about this show and I had no idea what it was. Then my hubby found a couple episodes from the first season and we were hooked. So hooked we watched the whole season in one weekend. I think most people who we recommend the show to, end up doing the same thing. Who would have thought that we would get addicted to a show about a motorcycle gang? But SAMCRO is a bad-ass gang who no one should ever test. If you mess with them, they will f*ck you up! The show follows Jax Teller and the rest of the guys from the biker club. Jax may be the sexiest biker but I do like Opie and Juice. Tigs is pretty hilarious and Gemma, well, Gemma is Gemma and thank god Katey Sagal won an Golden Globe for her character. Season Four starts this September and luckily for us Canadians, we are getting FX in November so we can keep up with the show. I think that it's underrated here in Canada and so unknown because we don't even get the darn channel. Well, it's all about to change.

Friday Night Lights.

Five seasons in, the best damn show ever and they cancel it, well, ended it. I can't remember what network it was originally on but after almost canceling it, DirecTV bought it. And then NBC would show it after the current season airs. Again, I found the first season and spent one weekend plowing through it. My hubby got addicted too so we spent many nights watching a few episodes before going bed. We even brought season three with us to Cuba in 2009 and watched the whole boxed set every night when we got back to our room. Friday Night Lights is based on the movie with the same title. It follows the Dillon Panthers and the people in the town of Dillon. Yes, it's a football show. I have this thing for football movies and shows and ironically, I don't know a thing about the sport. I only started to watch the NFL this year before Super Bowl. Anyway, Coach Taylor is my favorite character and I love his relationship with his wife, Tami and his daughter Julie. There's also some serious eye candy on the show through the five season - Tim Riggins, Matt Saracen, Luke Cafferty, etc...This show has taught me a lot about football and relationships so I was pretty upset to hear when they were going to end it after season five. I will say they tastefully ended the series and gave full closure to all story lines. From what I hear, they may be making a movie with my beloved Coach Taylor and Tami and of course, I will go and watch it. I wish more people, including myself watched FNL when it was actually on TV during the first season, maybe they would have had more seasons but the problem is, high school TV shows can't go on forever unless you continue in college (like Beverly Hills, 90210) or you can fast forward a couple of years but then it just ends up not making any sense and drags on forever (like One Tree Hill). Even though I would have liked more seasons, it ended on a high note and with perfect timing.

 Lipstick Jungle.

We only had a season and a half with Wendy, Nico and Victory. We got to enjoy gorgeous fashion, an intense relationship with Nico and Kirby (Robert Buckley) and the backdrop of New York. This show came at the perfect time...Sex and the City just ended and although we all knew nothing could ever replace Carrie and the girls, I feel Lipstick Jungle could have come close. At least Lipstick Jungle had a longer shelf life than Cashmere Mafia. I can recall the network wanting to cancel and people were actually petitioning it. I just don't know why they didn't continue filming. I loved seeing Lindsay Price each week, this woman is a beauty and I loved how she portrayed a fashion designer. All the woman played strong powerful working woman roles and that's what I loved about the show. I honestly wish this show went on but at least, I will always have the first season and half of season two to watch over and over again.

What are your underrated TV shows?

5 comments:

Ann said...

Have to admit...

I also love Friday Night Lights
and Lipstick Jungle, but I think LJ is no longer renewed.

Lin said...

Sons of Anarchy = awesomeness! I cant get enough of that show. Did you hear that they're getting a new sheriff in Charming this season? He's gonna shake things up a bit while the guys are in jail :)

Krysten @ After 'I Do' said...

I'm glad to know that you can watch Friday Night Lights without knowing anything about football. I keep hearing awesome things about that show but I really don't care about football so I've never bothered to watch. Maybe it's a good Netflix show?

Elisse said...

It sucks that Lipstick Jungle is off the air. I really enjoyed that show!

Kasey Lynne said...

When NBC made the announcement that Lipstick Jungle was being cancelled, I was SOOOO mad. That is one of my favorite tv shows of all time. Lindsay Price was my favorite.