Saturday, October 22, 2011

Delicious Show


Today, Hubby and I went to the Delicious Show (at the Better Living Centre) courtesy of Hip Urban Girl's Guide. I won a pair of tickets from them last week. It was a smart idea for Mike and I to skip breakfast and head straight for the show. Let me tell you that all the sampling left our tummies full.

As we tried to make a game plan of how we were going to tackle all the booths, we got easily distracted by samples. After only visiting five booths, we bought goodies from three of them. I will show you later what we came home with. We left the Cakes, Cupcakes & Sweets section for last but now I'm thinking it was a bad idea. I love chocolate and all things sweet but by the time we reached this section, I was full and couldn't even thinking of trying or buying anything. I would have bought some cupcakes from Bite Me Bakery or maybe some macarons from Rubelo (although $3 for one macaron and no samples - I'll pass thank you very much) but we settled for some mini candied apples from Bruce County Nut and Fudge Co. I don't even like apples, that's how good these candied apples are.

So, prior to the sweet section, we went through aisle by aisle sampling everything from oysters from Rodney's to cheeses to shortbread cookies (there are so many shortbread companies - our favorites: Coach House Shortbread Company and Sprucewood Handmade Cookies) to lots and lots of dipping sauces. I was intrigued by the DIY sodas from Soda Stream Canada and the free coffee from Nescafe Dolce Gusto outside of the Better Living Centre. There is so much to sample or buy, so if you are planning to hit the show tomorrow, make sure you go hungry.

 Some other booths we got to sample:

Before I leave you with photos, which we didn't take a lot of because we were too busy eating, our absolute favorite was the Takoyaki from Akasaka Japanese Restaurant. They were grilling these balls especially for the Delicious Show, it's Japanese street food. We tried both the Octopus and Lobster ones. We have an idea of how we can make these at home. If we are successful, I will be sure to blog about it.



Cake display from Gladycakes

Grilling at Akasaka

Takoyaki

Shriner's Creek Kettle Popcorn

Cupcakes from Cupcake Diner

Waffles from Waffle Bar

3 for $5 oysters from Rodney's Oyster House

Macarons from Rubelo Patisserie

Macarons from Moroco Chocolat

What we bought to take home

Spicy Asiago and Garlic shortbread

Cinful - caramel apple rolled in their signature cinnamon glaze

Sundried Tomato and Herb Spread from Derlea Foods Inc.

Chipotle Lime from Mrs. McGarrigle

Corn nacho chips, chunky guacamole and morita salsa

Delicious bread dippers from Wildy Delicious - the first booth we went to
This was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon. We came home with some delicious eats and treats. Thank you to Lisa & Wendy from Hip Urban Girl's Guide and Annette from the Delicious Show for the tickets. We truly enjoyed the show and can't wait for the next one. I'm off to go eat again now...

11 comments:

meredith said...

Awesome-wish I had gone! Photos are making me salivate!

Girlie Blogger said...

Oh definitely a great way to spend Saturday...and Sunday, and Monday, and...

I wouldn't be able to leave :O)

www.geekettegazette.com
www.thegirlieblog.com

Kathy said...

didn't we see those short bread cookies at the one of a kind show last year? those were YUMMY.

and that cake - it had me at NES. what a fantastic way to spend a saturday!

Tamara said...

Wow! everything looks so delicious (accept the oysters..I just can't get down with those Lol). Sounds like you had an amazing time (:

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

Yum, it all looks so good! Especially the waffles!

Marz said...

OMG!! Everything sounds and looks delicious!!! So glad you guys skipped breakfast! Sweet Fire popcorn sounds soooo good! I love Kettle Popcorn. And I LOVE mustard so I would have loved the samples from Mrs. McGarrigle's Fine Food Shop. I eat my french fries, hamburgers, chicken, sandwiches with mustard. I can't get enough of it!

Those 80's themed cakes are so pretty!

My mom and I caught up on Gossip Girl on instant netflix and in the episode we watched today Blaire was eating macarons - can you believe I have never had one???!?! I'm going to have to check out the bakery here and see if they carry them. They're so colourful and pretty!

All your goodies look so yummy! Glad you enjoyed yourselves :)

Gladycakes said...

Looks like you had a great time at the show. Thanks for coming by the Gladycakes booth and posting your photos of my cakes =)

Shutterbug said...

Everything look so good! I wish I was there! :D

Elisse said...

Coach House Shortbread apparently comes to Vancouver for one of our Christmas shows and apparently sells out in one day!!

Kasey Lynne said...

I am so completely jealous right now. How fun!!!! You lucky girl.

sweetmarie said...

Sounds like you had a great time at the show. I'm sure to check it out next year!

Btw, Gladycakes made my baby shower cake (she's a family friend). Her cakes rock! She made a really cute one for my niece's birthday (picnic themed).