Saturday, November 26, 2011

Prairie Girl Bakery

I read about Prairie Girl bakery from the Hip and Urban Girl's Guide early this year. I decided to finally make the trek over to their King St. location before my commute because I discovered that their Treat of the Week was Chocolate Toffee - who doesn't love chocolate and skor bits?


They have a half dozen mini cupcakes for $9.95 so I picked up Vanilla Lemon, Vanilla Chocolate, Chocolate Peppermint, Chocolate Peanut Butter Chocolate Toffee, and Banana Peanut Butter (clockwise starting from the top left).


Chocolate Peppermint is BY FAR my favorite-see photo below. I've tried lots of cupcakes (c'mon, I even went to CupcakeCampTO) but these cupcakes have the best combination of moist chocolate or vanilla cake and creamy icing. Most buttercream icing is either too buttery or too sweet. Their icing is perfect.


Below is the Chocolate Toffee cupcake. I was quite disappointed with it. I don't really know what I was expecting but when I took the first bite, I knew that this cupcake wasn't for me. I think it was the toffee icing, it was just too sweet for my taste buds.


Prairie Girl bakery has two locations: 18 King St at Victoria St and in the First Canadian Marketplace on the concourse level. You can view their menu here and don't forget to follow them on Twitter @prairiegirlbake to find out what their Treat of the Week is.

5 comments:

Girlie Blogger said...

OH that's right. You are the cupcake lover. I remember. They look delicious.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Lin said...

Ugh, I love you girl but you suck for posting photos of these delicious monsters! I want cupcakes SO badly now.

lisa said...

This sounds silly, but one cupcake is usually too much sugar for me to handle, especially if the frosting is thick. I like feasting my eyes on pretty cupcakes rather than literally feasting on them. :)

Amy Rene said...

oh goodness, those look yummy!

Marz said...

I am SO excited because we're finally getting a fancy cupcake place here in my little town in Texas. It opens on Friday and I can't wait to be one of their first customers :) I have serious envy when I see posts like these with these delicious treats (great pics!) so I'm so happy I'll finally be able to post one too! :)