Thursday, December 15, 2011

Book Review: Divergent



As usual, I read this book because my sister-in-law, the teacher of high school students recommended it to me (because her students told her to read it). Since I am so into young adult novels, I always take into consideration the books the students are reading. 

Description from Goodreads:
Beatrice "Tris" Prior has reached the fateful age of sixteen, the stage at which teenagers in Veronica Roth's dystopian Chicago must select which of five factions to join for life. Each faction represents a virtue: Candor, Abnegation, Dauntless, Amity, and Erudite. To the surprise of herself and her selfless Abnegation family, she chooses Dauntless, the path of courage. Her choice exposes her to the demanding, violent initiation rites of this group, but it also threatens to expose a personal secret that could place her in mortal danger. Veronica Roth's young adult Divergent trilogy launches with a captivating adventure about love and loyalty playing out under most extreme circumstances.

To me, it's amazing that a 23 year old wrote this book. She has so much creativity and an imaginative mind. I really enjoyed the concept of factiona and how at sixteen, these teens must decide how they want to live their life. Each faction lives differently and have unique moral values and ways of life. Within the book, you get a good diversity of friendships and relationships, along with action. I can't wait for the next book (if there is one) or for when they make this into a movie.

I could not put this book down, just like The Hunger Games. Divergent comes in second, after The Hunger Games as my favorite, must-read books of 2011. If you have read the Hunger Games trilogy, this will be your next book to pick up and read.

6 comments:

Girlie Blogger said...

Oh my gosh. She's only 23? That's incredible! Now I feel like writing something cool and interesting...at 33.

http://www.thegirlieblog.com

Kathy said...

excellent; will def read :)

Jenn said...

I really enjoyed Divergent. Teen and YA books are so much more interesting than books for our age group.

Jenn said...

By the way, belated happy birthday to you, fellow Sag!

Nikolett said...

Ahh perfect! I'm actually reading "Mockingjay" for the first time right now so I'm excited to pick this up afterwards! :) And I'm so so horrible for not wishing you a happy birthday on your actual day, so so sorry babe! HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY! You deserve amazing things for the new year ... and I'm making a list of blogger birthdays so I'm guaranteed not to miss it next year lol. Love yaaaa!

Kasey Lynne said...

Adding this to the must-read list!!