Tuesday, January 24, 2012

New York City recap

It's been almost a month since I went to New York City. I promised a post so here it is. For a more detailed report on what we ate and the hotel we stayed at, check out our travel blog, Beach Junkies.

Being my first time to New York, I honestly did not know what to expect. Everyone raved about this city so I was kinda getting annoyed and began thinking I need to expect a lot. I got nervous that what if I am that one girl who hates New York. I was getting irritated at the fact that some things were already going to cost a lot, like the hotel, the car service, food but you know what, it's how my hubby rolls when he goes to NYC and since he was paying for everything, I had to roll with the punches. Like Mike always says, never do a budget vacation.

We planned since September what we wanted to do and see, as well as where we wanted to eat (maybe I should say "I" because Mike wanted to take me to where I wanted to go) . We made all our dinner reservations and sort of planned where we wanted to eat for lunch. Mike picked the hotel since he was paying and this boutique hotel did not disappoint. Too bad without Mike's corporate rate and it being the holidays, the hotel is mad expensive. Anyway, when we arrive at Newark, our adventure began since we decided to take public transportation to get to Manhattan. When we finally arrived at Penn Station and came up to street level...I'm not gonna lie, I was a little disappointed. In my head, I was thinking..."this is New York? So not how I pictured it".

Royalton Hotel. Mike picked Royalton Hotel and as I mentioned, it did not disappoint. Best service, staff and room hands down. I loved coming back to our hotel each night. The lobby bar had excellent bartenders and delicious drinks. I have to say that we were spoiled with the huge room we got. We paid over half the price they normally charge for a king loft suite. If you want to read more about the hotel we stayed at and see photos, click here.

Midtown. Being this my first time in New York, as much as I tried to look at the map of Manhattan, I just didn't get it. Once you arrive there and get your bearings, it all makes sense. We had planned to walk around 5th Avenue one day, Times Square the next and another day in Soho but after seeing the traffic, I told Mike I just wanted to stay around Midtown/Times Square and save Soho and Meatpacking and even Union Square for the next time we come back to NYC. There is just so much to see and I rather explore bit by bit rather than an overkill. Walking around on 5th was awesome, I was in awe at all the stores. I really wanted to go to FAO Schwartz so it was the first thing we did. I was seriously a kid in a candy store! As for Times Square, my jaw dropped. One thing about me is that I love lights, especially when something is lit up at night. Mike purposely avoided Times Square until it was night time so I would get the full effect and I loved it!!!  I got that same feeling when I hit the Vegas strip for the first time. All through the trip, we walked everywhere, we didn't step into a cab at all.

Uniqlo. One of the highlights of the shopping we did. This is where I did my damage. My favorite item I bought was the Heat Tech Knitted Shorts. I love wearing shorts and uggs around the house so the shorts keep my booty warm. I also bought four pairs of their easy color legging pants. These legging pants are thicker and a bit looser than leggings, basically, they are skinny pants. I purchased other stuff but I can't remember it all.

Grayline Holiday Light Tour. I am a huge fan of "hop on hop off" bus tours. Grayline has a great deal that for $59 you can peruse the all loops tour for 72 hours. This would have been a good thing for us to explore but the problem was, we were there from Dec 23-27 but they were not running on Dec 24 and 25. It would have been useless for us. Next time though, we will be exploring the city with this bus tour. Instead, on our last night, we took the holiday lights tour so we can see all the stores with window displays. We sat on the top deck of the bus for two hours and froze our butts off but it was worth it!

Here are some photos. You might remember that Mike bought me a gorgeous yellow coat for NYC and I wore it because it was pretty mild the entire time we were there but because we only brought carry on luggage, we were stuck with only one jacket. As much as I love that yellow coat, we got sick of it and I have probably only wore it once since we got back. Tip for next time, don't bring such a unique colour coat because you will get sick of it and it is not fun blending in with the cabs. And remember the Cole Haan Air Colby boots I bought, well, those were the most comfortable boots ever. I wore them during the day while we walked for over eight hours. They did not hurt my feet at all.

I love New York. It was everything people said it would be. I can't wait to go back.

Delicious drinks at Royalton bar, 44

Crumbs bakery

Gaga workshop at Barneys

Rockerfeller Center

Me and the hubs at Times Sqaure

Christmas tree at The Plaza


FAO Schwartz

Gorgeous tub at Royalton Hotel


Let me tell you a little story...
While we were in FAO Schwartz, I saw a Cabbage Patch Kid display. I walked in circles looking at all of them and then when I picked up one, I looked the the given names and it read, TYLER GINO. I freaked out a little because what a coincidence that out of all the boy CPKs, I picked up this one and my late brother's name is GINO. It was such a good feeling =)


7 comments:

Becca Dickson said...

You know, I grew up a few hours from New York and I have never been there! It's so sad. It sounds like you had a great trip!

Kathy said...

great pics; i love NYC!

Girlie Blogger said...

What a fun-filled time! Love NYC.
www.thegirlieblog.com

Kasey Lynne said...

OH.
MY.
GOSH.

LEESH! What an amazing trip! I'm so glad you guys had a great time. Ummm and your freakin' hotel??? Are you serious?!?!?!? You guys got hooked up. I want that bathtub in my bathroom.

LOVED all the photos on both blogs.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Aw I literally have goosebumps after reading about the CKP! That's incredible. Just shows that he's always with you!

I am def coming to you for NY advice if I ever go! You had a blast :)

lisa said...

Uniqlo!! I wish we had one in Vancouver. My first time in one was in London, and when I last went to New York I stocked up on heat tech camisoles. They're the best for layering under blouses when it's freezing.

Angie Tingas said...

OMG now you have so much more to see of NYC... I would insist going in the summer, so you can walk through Central Park, dine overlooking the Hudson River near Pier 17... ohhh so many things. The Bronx Zoo... I love NYC. But Ironically I have never stepped foot inside FAO Schwartz.