Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Rant: Social media and work

Do your coworkers know that you have a blog? Pinterest? Twitter? Facebook? Do you follow them? Or allow them to follow you?

For the longest time at work, I never mentioned the fact that I had a blog, a twitter account or even Pinterest. To me, I wanted to keep the social side of my life to myself. Work is work. What I do outside of work is something I share with who I want at work. Yes, I know that a blog is public and if co-workers find out what my blog is and feel the need to creep and blurk (codename of people who lurk around blogs and never comment), that's their prerogative. 

I used to have my twitter profile unlocked. I loved communicating with companies and random strangers who seem to find what I have to say interesting. But now to protect myself from coworkers, I have locked my profile and I miss the interaction. I want to unlock it so bad because I feel like I am limited but I really don't want coworkers to know what I am doing, what I have to say and see photos of my life. Again, work is work. My personal life is my personal life.

Okay, now you might be thinking I am being silly because being on social media is to be social, to connect with others, etc...but honestly, we spend 1/3 of our day doing what we need to do in our daily life, 1/3 sleeping and the other third at work. We spend a lot of time at work so I don't feel the need to be connecting with people at work on a social level outside of work. Am I making any sense?!?!?

I thought about making my blog private and only allowing access to the usual readers but if I did this, it wouldn't feel right. I love blogging and I like sharing with others. I've already locked my Twitter profile and Pinterest, well, it's just sharing things that are already all over the web, so there's no need to lock it. But I honestly don't know how I feel about coworkers reading about what I do once I leave work. If it irks me so much, maybe I don't belong on social media. Hopefully since I don't mention the name of my blog or my twitter handler, coworkers can't trace me but if they do find me, they must have done some serious digging and creeping on me because I never disclosed any info on where to find me on social media.

So share with me your thoughts about your coworkers knowing you are on social media...Does it bother you if a coworkers is following you? Do you have friendships with your coworkers outside of work?

12 comments:

Kathy said...

i defriended all of my co-workers from my facebook (and told them the reason) when i started publicizing my blog on it. now that i've left the company, they've sent me friend requests but i still won't accept them because of my blog (and because i might work there again in the future).

i, like you, think work should remain separate from personal. i don't want my coworkers to be all up in my bidness either.

lexi said...

i know what you mean. i wouldn't want them knowing about my pages either...you never know who's going to stab you in the back using something you said on a page. happened to my friend, she got fired...

jenbe.me said...

i also do not feel comfortable sharing my blog with co-workers. heck, i don't even share my blog with my real live friends! i almost feel like i can't properly share my thoughts, likes, etc knowing that my friends are possibly judging the content and things i post about.. there are, of course, a couple of best friends i do share the blog with, but the majority don't know a thing about it :) !

lisa said...

My coworkers know about my social media life and are pretty supportive of it on the whole. (Our chief technology officer even mentioned something I tweeted once to my manager! But it was a positive tweet and it was work-related.) My take is, you're putting something out there in a public arena, in writing, and if you don't want anyone seeing it you shouldn't be putting it out there in the first place. Don't count on privacy controls to hide it.

bananas. said...

my #1 facebook rule...do NOT friend your coworkers. and you know what i'm not afraid to tell them that either. i also haven't told them about my blog which isn't private but it doesn't come up in google searches so it's cool.

my fear tho is that they'll find me on instagram so now i'm hesitant about giving out my cell phone number.

browneyedgirl said...

i only have a few co-workers that i have on facebook - one that i work with at the same school, a few from a difference school site. that's it. i get friend requests from staff and i've told them i don't friend anyone i supervise. i have no co-workers on my twitter, that thing is sacred to me, thanks to you. i have lots of real-life friends though who live out of state on twitter. i believe that not because people are friends with me on my facebook, it doesn't mean that they need to be on my twitter as well. i do not tell all of my friends about my blog and definitely not my co-workers.

ellesy said...

i'm glad you posted this because i always struggle with this topic. i like to keep work completely separate from my personal life - i like the people i work with but we are not friends outside of work, aside from the occasional drink or movie. i keep my beauty blog completely private - it's a newer venture for me and very different from my conservative work environment. i learned my lesson when i told one co-worker about my photography website and he spread it like wildfire. it is linked to my photo blog, which contains my personal travel photos as well as other personal posts and i kind of regret mentioning it at all.

Elisse said...

A lot of my co-workers follow each other on Facebook, and even if I did have a FB account I'm not sure if I would want them to know. A rare few know I have a blog, but no one really follows me or reads it (thankfully). I like keeping my personal life separate as well.

Elisse said...

I prefer to keep my personal life separate from work. I don't have FB, and many of my coworkers have asked if I have an account because it seems like they follow each other. Some know about my blog, but none of them are regular followers or readers, so I'm lucky in that respect.

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

My coworkers know I blog but I don't think that an of them has actually sought it out. I feel like they think that blogging is lame.

Shane said...

I 100% agree with this. Even at the intern level I think its important not to mix your personal and professional life too much. I wouldn't mind them knowing about my blog, but wouldn't be friends on facebook, twitter,etc.

Elaine A (TOBeautyReviews) said...

I totally get what you're saying. It was hard for me at first when I started the blog. Do I let people know? Do I keep it secret? My blog is different from yours though - I don't put much personal stuff on it - maybe sometimes events I go to and stuff. I have 2 FB accounts, one personal and one for the blog. The personal one can be a bit blurred as I have work friends and blogger friends on it too but I just hope that the limited profile does what it's supposed to do. As for twitter...I guess I can't be SURE but I'm PRETTY sure hardly anyone (if anyone at all) is on twitter. I find it's too fast paced for people to "get" and you really need to be on it all the time kind of checking in and interacting so I haven't locked it.

Oops, sorry for the long comment!