Monday, July 30, 2012

Weekend recap (food photo heavy)

This weekend was awesome! I probably gained a couple of pounds with all the food I ate but it was worth it. It's Monday and I am still thinking about my meal on Saturday night. Normally, Mike and I don't do much on the weekend, we chill at home and watch movies. This weekend was different, we were pretty much on the go all day Saturday.


I was off on Friday and didn't do much. I actually can't remember what I did but regardless, it was nice to not be at work. For dinner, we went to Turnberry Golf Course in Brampton for my mother-in-law's birthday and ate at Nine18. The menu didn't have anything special but the mussels were delicious. The family barely spoke to each other since the Olympics was on every TV.

Saturday, we went to look around for some home stuff before getting our haircut. After the salon, we went to get groceries and then we headed out to meet Stella of Food Junkie Chronicles at Ten Restaurant. Because she is pretty tight with Chef Nic, we were treated to a tasting menu to preview the items that will be added to the menu starting Thursday. What we ate was crazy delicious!!! It's almost like Chef Nic read our minds because everything we tastes was something we were craving - me - lobster rolls, Mike - pasta and Stella - brownies & ice cream. In the photo below is our tasting menu, I put little cute hearts around my favorites. You know how you usually top off a meal with something sweet, well, I learned that having something savoury after dessert, doesn't leave that sticky sweetness in your mouth and actually makes you not feel disgustingly full. The foie gras truffle was very unique, it was presented well and had so many different flavours melting in your mouth. Sadly, I wasn't able to take a photo of it because by the time it was served, it was dark on the patio. If you live in Mississauga or happen to be in the area, do check out Ten Restaurant. You won't be disappointed. Now for some photos...



Strawberry cognac

Truffle fries with black garlic mayo

Lobster rolls

Lil Bros beet salad

As Mike likes to call it, Thick Spaghetti

Port Dover Pickerel

Brownie & Ice Cream

When we came home, all I wanted to do was sleep but we watched Friends with Kids. What a horrible movie. It actually made me not want to have kids.

Sunday, Mike set up us on a blind date with another couple. Strange huh? Through our BeachJunkies twitter account, we started tweeting with Lyndsay, who can be found on itravel2000's You Tube channel. We met up with Lyndsay and (her) Mike at Mildred's Temple Kitchen for brunch. We had an awesome time with this fun couple. It wasn't uncomfortable at all, there were no awkward silences and we actually have a lot in common. It's nice to meet new people who share the same interests in you, in this case, travel. The next time we get together, it will probably be at their place.


Now here's my little vent for the weekend. Mildred's Temple Kitchen does not take reservations for their brunch. Luckily, we got a seat on their patio. On their brunch menu, they only have about several items and only serve three cocktails - caesar, some grapefruit and vodka thing and mimosa. This upset me a bit because I love drinking cocktails in the afternoon. Ok, drinks aside, you think that with only a few things on the menu to choose from, there isn't much prep/cooking time...well then why did our meals take over 45 minutes!?!?! Thankfully, we were too busy chatting to realize the long wait for our food but if it was only me and Mike, we probably would have walked out. It's totally not acceptable for food to take that long when the kitchen is only cooking up like  seven dishes. Anyway, asides from us getting constantly surrounded by bees, the food was okay, service was okay but I won't be returning.

So that is the end of my foodie weekend. I was off again today and did nothing. I did get to Face Time with my blogger besties, Elisse and Reni twice. They bought me a cute little something for my iPhone. How thoughtful huh? I have been constantly washing out the teal colour in my hair...I'm ready to move on, I'm glad a sock bun hides my horrible looking mint coloured ends. Lastly, I finally got to watch The Lorax - what a cute funny little movie!

Hope you had a good weekend! I can't believe July is coming to an end. 

5 comments:

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Um all of this food looks amazing!! I seriously want to try everything!

Thanks so much for linking up with us :)

Alisa Marie said...

Those truffle fries look delish!! Yum, I jsut ate dinner, but I'm already hungry again!

bonbon said...

Those lobster rolls look so good! I'm a huge lobster fan and I like it on everything so that seriously looks amazing to me! Just found your blog and have loved getting to know you better. I'm excited to follow along!

new follower :)
bonnie
bonnielouisa.blogspot.com

Lin said...

omg, I'm getting hungry just looking at all this deliciousness...especially that dessert :)

ellesy said...

gaaah i love food-filled weekends! i had fois gras ice cream at niagara street cafe once. it was good but probably not something i would order again haha. the truffle fries and lobster rolls look divine!