Monday, August 27, 2012

My first solo trip to San Jose

Last week I returned from a eight day trip to San Jose to visit my mom and stepdad. They graciously offered to fly me out since I had several vacation days I needed to use by the end of the month. I hesitated a lot, mainly for two reasons 1) Mike wasn't able to come with me and 2) since he couldn't come, I would have to fly out by myself. This scared the sh!t out of me. Now that I did the trip, flying alone was pretty easy. I sat aisle both ways and had no problems at security or immigration.

As soon as I got picked up at the SFO airport and we were in San Jose, I asked if we can go to In-N-Out Burger. It's the only burger I will ever eat. After eating, as tired as I was, I didn't want to deal with jet lag so my mom immediately took me out shopping. I wanted to go to Trader Joe's to buy some food for the week and we made a quick stop at Target. In the early evening, we did our pedicure and then off to bed I went at 9 pm...

...only to wake up at 4:30 am. We did more shopping on Tuesday - TJ Maxx, Ulta, Target, Kohl's, Ross...let me just tell you that my mom is a pro at scouring the clearance racks for cheap stuff. I just don't have the patience for it. Later in the evening, my mom's cousin came over for dinner.



Wednesday, we all woke up early to go to my stepdad's work. They have a really cool cafeteria so we had breakfast there and then we let my stepdad go to work and again, my mom and I went shopping. This time, we hit Daiso, Trader Joe's again, BevMo, Target and Kohl's. For lunch, my mom took me to my first ever Taco Truck. I thought I was just going to have one but for $1.25, they are so small, I ordered two - Pastor and Pollo Asada (Pork and Chicken). It was so good I had to order one more - Carnitas. My mom and I had 6 tacos all together and shared a Diet Coke and it only cost us $8.50.

We picked up my stepdad later in the day and headed over to San Bruno to a little restaurant called Patio Filipino to meet with my cousin, Marilen. What I find hilarious is that she is a cousin from my dad's side and although my parent's have been divorced forever, Marilen and my mom are really close, cool huh? The food is delicious, totally family-style so we definitely ordered too much. Marilen gave me a care package of her favorite Trader Joe's products. We didn't get to spend that much time together. Unfortunately, since me coming to California was spur of the moment, Marilen  already had a trip booked to LA to follow her beloved Giants for their road games.




Thursday was my stepdad's birthday. He took the day off so we enjoyed a leisurely home-cooked breakfast made by my mom and then picked up his mom to go watch The Bourne Legacy. During the week, while watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives, we found out that Guy Fieri's Johnny Garlic's restaurant had a location in San Jose that opened up a couple of months ago. Since we eating early, we were able to take advantage of some happy hour specials. After dinner, we past by Psycho Donuts to get my donut fill and then we ended the night at my stepdad's mom's house for some cupcakes.



Friday, my mom's friend came over for breakfast to meet me and then my mom and I headed over to Gilroy Outlets. I felt bad that I still hadn't bought anything for Mike. We went to American Apparel (where I got three pairs of shorts for Mike for only $12 each), J. Crew and Forever 21. We then picked up Gamble (my stepdad's grandson) and brought him back to the house so I could play Wii with him. I spoke to him a week before I was arriving and he had asked me if I could teach him how to play Mario Party.


All weekend, I sewed to my heart's content. I tried out several projects and then posted them up on Instagram. I will write up a separate post on what I sewed and will even have a giveaway later this week. My mom was so proud of me with all the projects I made. We didn't even go out all day Saturday because we were sewing. Sunday, we stepped out to get some nail polish and grab bubble tea. Then ate at a local favorite, Casa Teresa for some traditional Mexican food. Monday was more sewing, shopping and manicures in the evening. I did have In-N-Out again for lunch.


Tuesday, my flight wasn't until 1:30 pm so my mom and I killed some time at Target and Macy's. She showed me downtown Sunnyvale which has a strip of restaurants and live music all summer. It's definitely a place I have to come back to the next time I come to visit. With my tiny carry-on luggage stuffed with all my shopping (my mom is the #1 packer) and another bag filled with cookies, I got dropped off at the airport. I am happy to report that there weren't any tears this time - we just pretended I was going on vacation to Mexico and would be back after a week. This little trick worked like a charm.

It was such a fun trip and all we did was shop and sew. In the end, it doesn't matter what we did, all that mattered was getting to spend some time with my mom. Leaving may be a little hard but I know she is in good hands. If you want to read the guest post I wrote for her blog before I left, check it out here.

6 comments:

Kathy said...

as long as you're spending time with your mom, it doesn't matter what you do! all that shopping, sewing and eating sounds like a great time to me :)

Marz said...

This post made my heart so happy!!! You and your mom could be sisters, both so beautiful! I'm so glad your first solo trip was so successful and easier than you thought. When I drove my first two hour solo road trip I actually though about you because I felt as nervous as I knew you were and now look at us - mission accomplished! ;) Your trip sounded so fun! I want to go shopping with your mom! Micaela shops like her, there are some people that can just scope through all the good deals and find the best stuff on clearance. One day I hope to meet you both. We need to plan a trip to Cali at the same time. Imagine all the fun we could have :) Your cousin sounds like me - planning a trip to follow her favourite baseball team! ;) I love Trader Joe's! Claire gave me some Trader Joe's cookie butter that is heavenly! They are building a Trader Joe's in Dallas and I can't wait to have my fix again. And Taco Trucks are the BEST! Luckily we have some yummy carnitas here :) I enjoyed reading about your trip with your mom and your pics. Looking forward to the post of your sewing projects! Really makes me want to learn to sew :)

ellesy said...

what a great trip summary. i've said it before and i'll say it again, you and your mom are so cute! shopping, eating, and relaxing trips are the best... sometimes they feel more like a vacation than the hardcore touristy trips because you can really relax and enjoy the people you're with. i love food trucks and would totally love to try a taco truck one day. p.s. i love your blue and red sweater!

GirlieBlogger@Beauty Fashion Blog Seattle said...

I hear San Jose is quite an up-and-coming town, with 8-to-1 male to female ratio (lol) I hate traveling without my husband too. It feels strange. But hey, looks like you had a fantastic trip.

Lin said...

I've always wanted to visit San Jose, they say it's really pretty. So glad you had a good time & had some delicious In & Out :)

The photo of you & your mom in tiaras totally made me laugh out loud. You gals are goofballs.

Kasey Lynne said...

Leesh,
You are so pretty!! You pull off those straight across/ blunt bangs better than anyone I know. Andddd you and your mom look SO much alike. Beautiful!


but we might have a problem. How did I NOT know the you don't eat cheeseburgers?? I mean, I still love you because you like In N Out, but seriously???