Thursday, November 22, 2012

Random Thursday: In My Hometown...



I usually tell people that I am from Toronto but I live actually in the 'burbs, west of Toronto. It's an up and coming city and I pretty much live in the centre of what they are calling, "downtown" Mississauga.

{via}
{via}
{my own photo taken last Friday}

My city is famous for the Marilyn Monroe building. It's actually our view, it's what we see when we look out or balcony. There's Square One, which I think is the biggest mall in Ontario, I could be wrong though. Right next to Square One is Mississauga Celebration Square where they hold tons of events in the summer like yoga in the park, concerts, festivals and even now food truck events. This weekend will be the unveiling of the new skating rink and the tree lighting ceremony. We have the greatest mayor ever, Hazel McCallion. She's 91 years old and still holding down the fort. She has been the mayor for 33 years and whatever she is doing, she's doing it right. If and when she steps down, that is when I will probably want to move out of Mississauga. Although there are lots of franchise restaurants, there are some great mom & pop places to eat and we are starting to get some of the downtown vibe restos coming to the west end. One of my favorite places to eat and drink is Ten Restaurant (see some of the food I ate there). The bonus is we are only 20 minutes away from Toronto and 60+ minutes from the US border.

Here's a great article on how Mississauga is catching up to 'world class' Toronto.



8 comments:

Barb said...

Wow, I didn't know there was someone so close (I'm in Newmarket)! I should get YOU to drive to Oakville to get burlap bags for me (free at a coffee shop but only during the day).

Kathy said...

i miss living in sauga... but when we drove through there not too long ago, i can't believe how much it's grown/developed!

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

Very cool! I want to go to Toronto so badly, and then I can swing by and visit you ;)

Lin said...

Holy cow, you're right smack in the middle of all the awesome stuff. Bet you rarely get bored.

How bad ass is it that your mayor's 91 freaking year old? So cool!

Krysten @ Why Girls Are Weird said...

I love when people share about where they live. I really need to do the same!

Elisse said...

I think I would live at Square One - lol! The Bestie and I are talking about making a trip to Toronto next summer. I'll work hard to make it happen and I can see for myself how good Ten resto is.

M. said...

Your mayor sounds amazing. Such an inspiration! No wonder your city is growing and thriving! Also - yoga in the park? How awesome is that??

ellesy said...

loved reading this! i really like square one but i've only been there 2-3 times because we don't regularly have access to a car (we sold ours years ago because we found we weren't using it... now we just rent when we need one).

i remember seeing mayor McCallion when i was at a client lunch at a mississauga restaurant probably 8 years back. quite a few people approached her to say hi and she was really warm and receptive. she is very inspiring... wish we had a mayor like that.