Sunday, January 20, 2013

Why I don't get along with winter

{via}

I hate winter. Maybe hate is too strong of a word, so let me say I dislike the snow and the cold. It's strange for me to say this because I was born in northern Canada (more specific, in Yellowknife, NT - those who live in Canada will know what I am talking about). I lived there for seven years and then I moved to the other northern territory, Whitehorse, YT and stayed there for four years. You would think that after living in a place where the snow never ends and the temperature can dip down to -40, I would be used to the winter season. No...never.

Let me give you the reasons why I don't get along with winter.

One. It's too cold. I don't like the cold. It chills my bones. Give me the heat and humidity any day.

Two. Snow. I don't like it. I will never shovel it and it's a pain to walk through. Good thing we live in a condo where we don't have to shovel the walkway or driveway and the car is parked underground. I will secretly admit when snow falls down in big chunks, it's beautiful.

Three. Winter coats. They are ugly, big and so unflattering. I don't feel pretty in them at all. Sure, I could have a pretty coat but is it going to keep me warm? No. I am old enough to know now that it's better to be practical than stylish, to be warm rather than cold. And also let me tell you that I am not a fan of Canada Goose jackets (although I have heard they are super warm) or Uggs.

Four. Dry skin. Who wants to be flaky, looking like a lizard with scaly skin? Not to mention the dry, chapped lips. No matter how much lotion and lip balm I put on, my skin is never hydrated enough. We recently bought a humidifier and it's helping a bit but nothing is worse than the dry air that is circulating in our home.

Five. Dark nights and dark mornings. I think I only see sunlight on the weekends. It's dark when I leave for work and it's dark when I leave to go home. Nothing can be more depressing than this. No wonder everyone is miserable this time of the year.

Six. Hair filled with static and flyaways. My hair is so flat and has so much static. I know you are suppose to condition to add in moisture because of the dry air but it doesn't work for me. My hair is at its ugliest in the winter. It won't hold a curl and it doesn't work well under a hat.

Seven. Confinement. Since I don't engage in any winter sports and I don't quite like embracing the cold weather, I tend to hibernate. This could be a good thing because I can just curl up on the couch, watch movies or read on the weekend but guess what I end up doing...online shopping. Not good for my budget. If it was summer, I am more likely to window shop instead but with online shopping, there is no such thing as "just browsing".

Eight. Flu, fevers and colds, oh my! I have been so blessed because I am one of the lucky ones who has not caught the flu yet (knock on wood). Winter brings out all kinds of sickness and it's not pretty. I am doing my best to drink lots of fluids (especially emergen-C and o.j.) and wash my hands all the time.

So, you can see why I am not a fan. I rather live in a city where it's warm all year round or escape the winter every year but enjoy the hot, humid days in my hometown. I know I may be a little harsh but it's just not my favorite season. I am more of a summer girl and I can't wait until May hits when the weather starts to warm up. But for now, I will brave each cold days while longing for summer to come.

Do you love winter?

6 comments:

Joanne said...

I'm not a huge fan of winter either. I don't like feeling cold and wearing layers especially under my jeans. It makes me feel like a sausage! I think snow should only be on the mountains coz it's messy when it's in the city/'burbs & a lot of people don't know how to drive in it. & the city is never prepared for it. It really doesn't snow a lot here but when we do get a centimetre or 2, which is really nothing, people freak out! some even call in & call it a snow day! lol

I'm really looking forward to summer and really hoping it comes early! I can't wait to be wearing shorts & tank tops!

Lisa said...

What sort of coats have you bought in the past, and what are the temperatures you're dressing for? I have a Soia & Kyo coat that I've worn in -10 to -16 Celsius and I've been fine. For wool coats, the key is high wool content (80% minimum, 90%+ preferred) and an interlining between the outer wool layer and the inner silky lining. Most fast fashion chains' "winter coats" don't have either.

Leeann @ Join the Gossip said...

I think I'd literally die in a real winter. We are too spoiled here in SoCal that anytime it's under 60 degrees we all think it's freezing!

Snow sure is pretty though...from afar ;)

jessica {creative index} said...

hahaha... loved this post!

i hated the winter too! now that i live in NC its not so bad... love that the temps are warmer and i don't have to deal with snow!!

ellesy said...

i totally agree with you. i can safely say that i absolutely despise winter. i just came back from vacation and it's been very hard for me to adjust my mindset back to cold weather (and work). i'm always thinking of how we can move to a warmer climate... or perhaps become 30-something snowbirds.

Kasey Lynne said...

Maybe it's time to move to So Cal ;D
And bring Elisse with you! hahaha

Dry skin is the worst! That's the one thing I really hate about winter. My skin goes to crap! Oh wait, static is right up there with dry skin. It's so annoying!